Lelliott Newspaper Cuttings

Death of John Berry Lelliott

Brighton Herald 1 October 1864, Page 3 Fifth Column


On Wednesday last, Mr David Black, the Coroner for this Borough, held an Inquest at the County Hospital on the body of a person named John Berry Lelliott, aged 44 years, a brickmaker, and parish clerk of Portslade, who was killed on Monday, through incautiously getting from a train at that station. It is a matter of surprise, considering the numerous infractions of the Company's rules, that accidents of this class are not more frequent.

The jury having been sworn, and viewed the body, returned to the inquest room, when the Coroner requested Mr Carpenter, an officer in the service of the Railway Company, to leave while the witnesses were under examination; but this he declined to do unless informed of the reason why he was not allowed to remain. This the Coroner declined to give, and told Mr Carpenter that, unless he withdrew, he (the Coroner) would order his removal; and Mr Carpenter then retired

Henry Hudson, a farm-labourer, was then called, and said he was at the Portslade Station a few minutes after the accident had happened, and spoke to the deceased, who was perfectly sober and said, "I was getting out and the train shunted back and then I fell." Deceased said no more relative to the occurrence, but gave witness his watch, money, and keys, and said his accounts were all correct at home.

James Hammond, builder 7½, Westhill-place, Brighton, a passenger in the same train, the 8.25 a.m. from Brighton, deposed to the train going beyond the platform and backing. It came to a dead stop before it backed and he got out; but it moved back towards the Station almost immediately, but without a jerk. He heard some one hollow. " Stop the train; there is a man under the wheel." and he found deceased with his legs across the rails, and his body between the platform and the carriages. After the accident, the servants of the Company did all in their power to assist the deceased, but, before he got out, witness saw no one there to tell the passengers to get out or to make signs not to do so; neither did he notice any whistle from the engine. Deceased was in a carriage nearer the engine than witness, and, when picked up, he said, " It's a bad job; it's all my fault." He had a basket and some oil cans, which would be a hindrance to getting out.

John Saunders, a plumber and painter, 59, Upper Trafalgar-street, also a passenger in the train, said the forepart of it overshot the platform, and deceased was in one of the carriages that did so. The train came to a standstill, but it was a very short time before it moved on again, and in the meantime passengers had got out. He did not hear any of the Company's servants tell the passengers not to get out.

Augustus Burley, head-guard of the train, having been, cautioned that he need not say anything that might criminate himself, was sworn, and deposed that the engine and three carriages overshot the platform in consequence of the break not acting properly, owing to the greasy state of the rails from dew. The regulation is, that, when a train has overshot the Station, it is the duty of the guard to order the driver to move back and to see that the passengers do not get out when the train is in motion. On this occasion the driver sounded his whistle; but he backed without witness's order and before he could get out of the break.

John Vaugh, under-guard of the same train, deposed that he was looking out of his break and saw no one attempt to get out of the train before it was backed. There was an interval of two or three seconds before the train moved back. He gave no order to the driver to do so.

John Brooker, the driver, having been cautioned, said he thought Burley waved his hand to him to back; but he was not sure of it. He could not hear any order, as the steam was blowing off, and he blew his whistle before backing.

George Heather, the station-master, was called to prove that he gave no order to the driver to back; but the engine whistle was sounded before the train was backed. It was backed immediately, and he called to the passengers to keep their seats.

Mr Nathaniel Paine Blaker, House Surgeon at the Hospital, described the injuries received by deceased, whose legs were literally crushed the shock sustained by such injuries being the cause of death.

Samuel Stredwick, a porter at the Portslade Station, deposed that he also called out to passengers to keep their seats, and he saw no one leave the train before it began to move back.

Mr John James Carpenter, Assistant-Inspector on the Company's line, brought deceased to Brighton, and heard him say that the train was pushing back as he was getting out, and his foot slipped. He said he had no one to blame.

This was the whole of the evidence, and the Coroner having summed up, the Jury found a verdict to the effect that deceased died from the injuries received to his legs, and the John Brooker, the driver, was negligent, though not in a gross or criminal extent, in backing the engine without receiving an order from either guard or station-master.

Death of Amos Lelliott

Brighton Herald 20 January 1877, Page 3 Second Column


An inquest was held on Thursday afternoon at the Hospital, before the Deputy Borough Coroner, respecting the death of Amos Lelliott, aged 32 years. The body was identified by William Taylor, deceased's brother-in-law, a flint-digger, who stated that deceased followed the same occupation as himself, being employed in a flint-pit at Portslade, belonging to Mr Peters. On Monday afternoon he was engaged in shovelling flints, when the side of the bank gave way, and some five or six tons of earth and flint, loosened by the heavy rains, fell upon him. Deceased, who was used to the work, was not undermining the bank, but was on the slope. There had been slips before, but no one had been hurt, and nothing had been done to prevent further accidents. - Mr Herbert Neals Smith, House Surgeon at the Institution, said that deceased was admitted whilst in a state of great collapse, His face was covered with contusions and lacerations, his right thigh was dislocated, one bone of the right leg was broken, and there were other injuries. Deceased died on Wednesday. - Another witness, a lad named Taylor, also related to deceased, and employed at the pit, said the bank was thought to be perfectly safe, the place where the fall occurred not having been undermined, and being quite on the slope. No precautions had, therefore, been taken. - The Jury returned a verdict of "accidental death."

Wedding of Charles Halburton Thomson to Gertrude Lelliott

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 23 April 1913, Page 6


Mr C.H. Thomson and Miss Gertrude Lelliott

On Thursday afternoon Holy Trinity Church was the scene of a pretty wedding, the bridegroom being Mr Charles Halburton Thomson (eldest son of Mr J.H. Thomson and the late Mrs Thomson of Greenwich) and the bride Miss Gertrude S Lelliott (second daughter of Mr J.H. and Mrs Lelliott of Imrie, High Street)

Choral Service

The ceremony was performed by the Vicar (the Rec. C.J. Hollis). The bride was given away by her father, whilst the groomsman was Mr J.J. Pitarc, brother-in-law of the bridegroom.

Miss Lelliott was attended by two bridesmaids, these being her sister, Miss Dorothy Lelliott, and Miss Gladys Williams.

The service was fully choral, the hymns that were sung including "The Voice that Breathed O'er Eden," and "O Perfect Love," and at the conclusion of the ceremony, and whilst the register was being signed, Mr C. Spratley who officiated at the organ, played the Wedding March.

The bride was attired in an ivory satin gown trimmed with lace, and silk chene sashes and prettily finished with pearls and brilliants; and she also wore a lace Romney cap, and carried a sheaf of white carnation.

The bridesmaids' gowns were of white voile trimmed with lace, and silk chene sashes; and they carried bouquets of pink carnation, which were the gift of the bridegroom.

Mrs Lelliott, the mother of the bride, wore a grey silk crepe gown, and carried a shower bouquet of red carnation.

Departure for the Honeymoon

After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's parents, and later in the day Mr and Mrs Thomson left for Eastbourne, where the honeymoon is being spent. Both were made the recipients of a handsome collection of presents, and the bridegroom's gift to his bride took the form of a gold expanding wristlet watch, whilst the present from the bride to the bridegroom was a gold scarf pin. The bridesmaids received gold broaches from the bridegroom. After the honeymoon Mr and Mrs Thomson will take up their residence at St John's Greenwich

Death of Joseph Henry Lelliott

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 28 January 1914, page 5

Local Tradesman's Death – Mr Joseph Henry Lelliott, who for some years had carried on business as a blind-maker in Chatsworth road, died at an early hour this morning, after a long illness.

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 4 Feb 1914, page 5

FUNERAL OF A LOCAL TRADESMAN – The funeral of the late Mr Joseph Henry Lelliott, whose death was briefly recorded in our last issue, took place on Saturday. Deceased who was fifty-seven years of age, had carried on the business of a builder and blindmaker for a number of years, and had been responsible for the construction of a number of premises in the town. The funeral service on Saturday was conducted by the Rev. C.J. Hollis, Vicar of Holy Trinity, at which Church deceased had been a member of the Choir for a number of years. The mourners were Mrs. Lelliott (widow), Messrs, H.C. Lelliott and J.H. Lelliott (sons), Miss May Lelliott and Miss Dolly Lelliott (daughters), Mr C. H. Thompson and Mr J.I. Williams. A large number of floral tributes were sent, including those from "His Loving Wife"; Bert, May and Dolly; Betty and Charles, Dot and Joe, Nicholas, Will, May and Ciss; Aunt Fanny and Ivy; Alf and J.H. Thompson Mr and Mrs Williams and family; Alice; J.G. and J.J. Pitarc; Ted and Jennie, Flo Pelham and Bert (Canada); the Employees and the Vicar and Choir of Holy Trinity

Mrs. Lelliott and family desire to convey their sincere thanks to the many friends who have expressed sympathy with them in their sad bereavement, and for the many beautiful floral tokens sent.

Wedding of Herbert Charles Lelliott to Gladys Ethel Minnie Williams

Worthing Gazette 17 April 1918 Marriage announcements

LELLIOTT – WILLIAMS At Christ Church Worthing, on the 16th inst, by Rev. Canon Ferris, Herbert Charles eldest son of the late Mr J.H. and Mrs Lelliott of Imrie High Street to Gladys Ethel Minnie, third daughter of Mr and Mrs J.I. Williams, 22 The Steyne and Oxted, Surrey.

Death of Susan Lelliott

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 6 March 1929, Page 6 Births, Marriages and Deaths announcements

LELLIOTT On Sunday March 4th Susan widow of the late Mr J.H. Lelliott of Imrie High Street, passed peacefully away aged 74. Internment at Broadwater Cemetery this afternoon

Wedding of Betty Lelliott to Henry Whitford Bain

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 4 October 1939, Page 6

Bridegroom Serving in London Scottish

At St George's Church last week Miss Betty Lelliott, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs J.C. Lelliott, Rosedale Warwick-gardens, Worthing was married to Mr Henry Whitford Bain of Richmond Surrey. The bride's parent are well known in Worthing.

The bride who is a former Worthing High School girl wore a blue two-piece trimmed with white dyed fox, a spray of carnations and fuchsia accessories.

The best man was Mr John Hazard Beaumont-Bolt, and the vicar of St George's (the Rev E.J. Towndrow) performed the ceremony.

The honeymoon had to be curtailed as the bridegroom is serving with the London Scottish and was on short leave.

Death of Herbert Charles Lelliott

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 14 October 1942, front page, Births, Marriage & Deaths announcements

LELLIOTT On October 8th at 21 Warwick Gardens, Worthing, Herbert Charles Lelliott, after prolonged illness, aged 57. Sadly missed by his wife, daughters and son-in-law

Worthing Gazette Wednesday 14 October 1942, page 5

Well-known Builder Dies

Mr Herbert Charles Lelliott, aged 57 died at his home, 21 Warwick-gardens Worthing, on Thursday, following a prolonged illness. Mr Lelliott. one of the oldest established builders in the town, was born and educated here.

A pioneer in West Sussex motoring, he maintained a great interest in it until the time of his illness.

After gaining a scholarship at Brighton Technical College, he went into his father’s business, eventually taking it over. He was a Freemason, a champion wrestler, being a member of the Brighton club for many years and a member of the Sailing Club and other societies. Mr Lelliott leaves a widow and two daughters. The younger daughter will carry on the business in Chatsworth Road.

The funeral took place at Offington Cemetery on Monday